National church policy divides Lutherans on scripture, homosexuals in ministry

February 10, 2010

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly voted on Aug. 19, 2009, in Minneapolis to allow non-celibate gays and lesbians in “publicly accountable,” same-sex relationships to have unrestricted access to the pulpits of ELCA churches.

Where’s Martin Luther when you really need him?

To social conservatives, it was a sucker-punch. I thought, “Liberals are not happy just taking over my country; now they’re taking my church, too.” No matter how much we hate sin and love the sinner, a heterosexual ELCA pastor living openly in adultery would be run out of North Carolina.

Like many life-long Lutherans, I have spent five months in prayerful analysis of what happened and what my options are. Any way I look at the new ELCA policy, it always comes back to multiple Biblical references to homosexuality as a sin. If there was an announcement that God has changed his mind, I missed it.

Two Sundays ago, the Gospel lesson and sermon in a church I visited were about the wedding at Cana, where Jesus turned water into wine. Companion lessons were about God creating man and woman, how they were to “cleave” to each other and become “one flesh.” The plan was to use sex with the opposite kind to procreate families.

I’m satisfied that’s still the plan. There’s no Biblical mention of Cana having a “same sex” wedding.

The vote last summer resulted from a dismal failure of ELCA leadership. The fundamental flaw in the ELCA’s illogical position is the gross underestimation that this was a gut-wrenching reinterpretation of scripture to many parishioners.

In contrast, Martin Luther once held up a Bible to the Pope and declared: “My conscience is captive to the Word of God. Here I stand; I cannot do otherwise.”

How could the church of Luther, standing on scripture, have come to this moment? The key resolution passed 559 to 451. So the opinions of 108 persons will rule more than 4.8 million ELCA Lutherans on this subject? Forever? No way.

My home church is confused. Some have vowed to leave the ELCA; others are in a wait-and-see mode; some are considering Lutheran CORE (COalition for REnewal, a new, more conservative church organization).

The majority, not wanting to be branded as bigots, have quietly acquiesced to a position they don’t really support. Unlike Luther, they’re afraid to stand up and be counted.

Many pastors want to avoid controversy and want their members to just be quiet, fearing the ELCA will suffer by any exodus. They confuse people with euphemisms like “human sexuality issues,” rather than straight talk about homosexual preachers.

My prayers on homosexuals in ministry have not been answered like those of my liberal friends. God doesn't tell me we should interpret scripture to suit our notions of “social justice.” Like Luther, I hear how I ought to stand my ground and work for change.

Still, I can’t remain in limbo indefinitely, knowing my national church sanctions active, non-repentant homosexuals in the pulpit.

No matter how ELCA liberals see it, the United States is not a “liberal” country. A recent poll found that self-described “conservatives” outnumber “liberals” 40% to 21%, with 36% calling themselves “moderates.”

In many fields of public endeavor—including politics and religion—liberals are disproportionately over-represented in leadership positions. Over time, the pendulum always swings back the other way. But, for now, the gay “community” has put into place a network of activists to take advantage.

Thomas Jefferson once observed “that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing….” Jefferson also wrote the Virginia Statute on Religious Freedom, predating even the U.S. Constitution. He wasn’t only conservative; he was libertarian.

I don't fear the “rebellion” in 2009 in Minneapolis. I just hope ELCA liberals aren’t too disappointed when their church shrinks to a fraction of its present size and conservatives and moderates reestablish a right, and righteous, national Lutheran church based on scripture.

FOXNews.com

Archives

HickoryRecord.com: Local News